COVID-19 - We're here to help
Covid-19 Pandemic Update 11/06/2021
We are very Thankful for the support all our clients and property owners have given to us at Rent Villas Algarve and Portugal over the last months. It has been an extremely difficult period, and although we are now welcoming visitors, the constant change in travel restrictions has been frustrating for all involved.
On the 15th January 2021, Portugal entered a state of emergency and the country was placed under its second national lockdown. This has been revised each 15 days since, and after much improvement, on the 29th April 2021, Portuguese prime minister, Antonio Costa, informed the country that the state of emergency will not be renewed and that Portugal will enter a situation of Calamity from 1st May 2021. The country has been following the fortnightly deconfinement plan set out by the government and from the 14th June, the majority of the country (with the exception of a few councils which are being monitored) moves to the final stage of deconfinement. Here is a brief outline of this new phase we are about to enter, all whilst maintaining social distancing, hygiene measures and the use of facemasks.
• Restaurants, cafes and pastry shops open until 01.00hrs (tables of up to 6 people inside and up to 10 people outside)
• Cinemas, theatre, shows until 22h30
• Land borders open
• All shops and shopping centres open until 21h00 during the week and 19h00 at the weekend and holidays.
From 1st June - Official bathing season began - please see advice when visiting beaches during your stay in Portugal.
• All Portuguese beaches have been allocated a maximum number of people allowed at any one time, determined by the size of the beach. This information should be displayed at the beach access point and is monitored by the maritime police. Avoid beaches of high occupation - A useful website/ App has been developed to find out the live capacity of beaches throughout Portugal which we recommend you using. https://infopraia.apambiente.pt/rules/
• Social distancing of 1.5m between people that are not of the same group/ Maximum of 5 people per Umbrella/ Distancing of 3 meters between umbrellas for people of different groups/ Sports of more than 2 people are not permitted/ Masks must be worn when arriving or leaving the beach, beach restaurants, walkways and where social distancing is not possible.
On 17th May, the UK made their first announcement to advise which countries were to be included on which list of the newly introduced traffic light system set up for international travel. There are 3 levels - Green, Amber and Red, each with its own requirements for travel. Full details of these requirements can be found on the gov.uk website.
We advise that you check for updates from the FCO Foreign-Commonwealth-Office or equivalent abroad, for current advice regarding international travel. Portugal is currently on the UKs Amber list for travel, which requires a 10 day quarantine period on your return from Portugal along with covid testing as per our updated information on Travelling to Portugal - updated requirements - Rent Villas Algarve
Whilst International travel is allowed, your holiday will be subject to our usual booking-conditions
We understand you may have concerns about travelling at the moment and want to reassure all our clients that our main priority remains your well-being and safety during the Covid-19 Pandemic.
Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, in March 2020, we have dealt with each of our clients on an individual basis, liaising between them and the property owner to reach a satisfactory conclusion for all involved. Whilst some clients did travel in 2020, for the vast majority of bookings we were able to agree a change of dates to 2021 or in some circumstances a credit note for the full value of payment made. Clients that decided to cancel the booking and seek refunds from their travel insurance providers were provided the necessary cancellation paperwork.
As a named agent for the property owner, Rent Villas Algarve, on receipt of payment, sends this to the property owner to confirm the booking, hence no longer having the funds to be able to offer any refunds of payments received.
If you have a future booking with us and should FCO travel restrictions be in place at the time your final balance payment is due (10 weeks before your stay) we can defer your payment due date to 6 weeks before your stay.
If travel restrictions remain in place at the time your revised final balance payment is due (6 weeks before your stay) the following three options will be made available.
1) You will be given the option to pay your final balance payment and go ahead with your holiday as planned, travelling with FCO restrictions in place. This would need to be confirmed in writing by you, at which time you are waiving the option of a change of dates or credit voucher.
2) You will be given the option to cancel your booking and rebook the same property for confirmed later dates. All payments made so far will be transferred to your new booking. Please note - An additional payment may be required at this stage.
3) You will be given the option of taking a Credit Voucher for the full value of payments received to date, valid until end 2022. Credit vouchers are for use in the same property on an alternative date, subject to availability. The price for your booking will be calculated at the confirmed rate for those dates at the time the voucher is redeemed.
Please note, the above 6 week time period has been set to allow us enough time, should you decide not to travel for your original holiday dates, to resell your holiday dates to clients travelling from another country where restrictions might not be in place.
When booking any future holiday accommodation with us, we advise that a comprehensive Travel Insurance policy, that includes relevant cover for Covid-19, is purchased at the time you book your accommodation.
Your rental accommodation - Be assured that all our team have received additional training regarding the preparation of the properties for your health and safety while you are here on your holiday. The deep cleaning/ disinfection protocols will place additional stresses on cleaning schedules, and therefore these may vary from advertised.